must-bgPage 1Page 1clockclosePage 1facebookPage 1Page 1linkedinPage 1Page 1searchsearchtwitterPage 1

Anna af Sand

The Sloop from 1848

Anna af Sand was built in Hardanger in 1848, and initially named Haabet (‘The Hope’). Ten years later she came to the district of Ryfylke, and from the 1890s onwards was called Anna af Sand. Around this time, such boats were used for cargo, as working boats, for lodging fishermen during herring season, and for transporting salted herring to countries along the Baltic Sea.

Anna af Sand belonged to the Eide family (they lived in the village of Sand) for over 70 years, and sailed the fjords of Ryfylke up to the 1960s. It was rebuilt several times and eventually outfitted with a motor.

In 1973 Anna was restored and given to Stavanger Maritime Museum. This is one of the oldest sloops still sailing.  

anna-af-sand.jpg#asset:587

Photo: Kyllingstad og Furunes

Text: Anne Tove Austbø